What it means

What it means

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Happy Landing

So, the decks were finally done by the onset of winter and I just couldn't believe I owned that clean, tailored structure! As it would be my Christmas & birthday present for the next 30 years, I figured I might as well get busy and decorate my cake. I decided to name it "Happy Landing" from the old Shirley Temple song, some will remember, "…happy landing on a chocolate bar".

I ordered more (you guessed it) Bouquet Canyon Stones and more railroad ties. I called up the nice boys I'd been hiring to help me build some planters around the decks. They worked so hard on that steep hill under my (inept, as it turned out) direction and it wasn't until it was all done that I realized they weren't asking "Is it level?", they were asking, "do you have a level?". They must have thought I was a nut, I kept standing back and squinting and saying, " yeah, yeah looks good guys" but I never went and got the level, I'm turning red just thinking back.

And the guy at the building supply who told me to use T-post…I just hated it, now I hate him.

Well, there was only one thing to do, cover it up…and do it fast before self loathing set in too deeply.

2 comments:

Godless Sunday said...

Your story is a real american classic. The trials and tribulations we face over land. It never ends and its always over love. Do you think Scarlett O'Hara would have known what he meant when he needed a level?

"I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tommorrow." Scarlett O'Hara.


You crack me up.

Louise Donahue said...

Well, quite honestly, my Spanish is rudimentary at best, and Pedro's English is no better than my Spanish, I eventually learned to always ask, "do you mean…?" and together we would work things out better.

I think Scarlett had a pretty good policy regarding tomorrow, however, I've been seriously indulging in yesterday…lol!